Position : Home > Registration > Pre-arrival


New student are expected to visit the university website ( and the College of International Education website ( for useful information.

Go to local Chinese embassy/consulate to apply for study visa

Please make sure to apply for a study visa (X visa) for studying in China. The X1 visa is a long-term convertible visa and must be converted into a residence permit within 30 days after entering China. The X2 visa is a short-term non-convertible visa. A holder of such visa is only allowed to go to China and back once and stay in China for 180 days at most. Therefore, if you will study in China for more than 180 days, you need to apply for X1 visa (residence permit); if less than 180 days, you need to apply for X2 visa.

The materials for visa application usually include:

  • One original and one photocopy of passport (Please make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months and has blank visa pages.)

  • One original and one photocopy of Application Form for Foreign Students Studying in China (JW201 or JW202)

  • One original and one photocopy of Admission Notice issued by the Chinese college/university

    For more details, please visit the following website:

    Ministry of Foreign Affairs of China:

    China Consular Service:

    *An international student must hold a Study Visa (X visa). If a Tourist visa (L Visa) holder wants to convert it to study visa after he/she enters the country, he/she may be required to re-enter after leaving China. Therefore, this practice is not recommended.

    Read Admission Notice carefully

    Admission Notice usually contains admission information such as major, duration of studies and language used in teaching, and registration information such as time, place and materials needed for freshman registration.

    Items you may need during your stay in China

    1) Electronic devices: laptop and accessories, power adaptor, AC adaptor, portable charger, etc. The standard voltage in China is 220V. The picture below shows the standard power socket in China. Please bring your own voltage conversion devices. They can also be purchased on campus or nearby shopping malls.

    2) Bedding: bed sheet, duvet cover, pillowcase, duvet, mattress, etc. As the campus does not provide the newcomers with bedding, students need to take care of this on their own. It is not necessary to prepare bedding in advance, since there are many shops near the campus where you can find it. Anyway, all you need is available for purchase at Taobao.

    3) Toiletries: slippers, bath towel, towel, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. They can be purchased on campus or nearby shopping malls.

    4) Clothing: Qingdao has a temperate, four-season, monsoon-influenced climate. Winter is cool to cold and windy, but generally dry, with a January average of -0.2 °C. Summer is generally hot and humid, but very hot days are rare, with an August average of 25,4°C. Qingdao has a pleasant climate in general,but still you need to have a warm coat, a scarf and gloves for the winter season, as the winds here are too strong and cold.

    5) Common drugs: drugs for respiratory and digestive diseases, painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs, mosquito repellent, moisturizer and so on. They can be purchased in the university hospital on campus.

    6) It is advisable to bring some cash (CNY/RMB) with you to pay the basic expenses for transport from airport to school and daily necessities.

    Drug Control

    According to the regulations of the Chinese government, opium, morphine, heroin, marijuana and other addictive narcotic drugs and psychotropic drugs, as well as all kinds of weapons, simulated weapons, controlled knives, ammunition and explosives are all prohibited from being brought into China. For more information, please refer to the following websites:

  • Decree of the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China (No.43) - Tables of Items Prohibited and Restricted from Entry/Exit:

  • Announcement of the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China (No. 46, 2013) - Interpretations on Issues Concerning Table of Items Prohibited from Entry/Exit and Table of Items Restricted from Entry/Exit:


    1) Chinese currency

    The legal currency of China is RMB (¥). Its basic unit is yuan, which can be subdivided into jiao and fen: 1 yuan = 10 jiao, 1 jiao = 10 fen. Currently, the banknotes in use include 1 jiao, 5 jiao, 1 yuan, 5 yuan, 10 yuan, 20 yuan, 50 yuan, 100 yuan, and the coins in circulation include 1 jiao, 5 jiao and 1 yuan.

    2) Convertible currencies & place for conversion

    The following foreign currencies are convertible to RMB: GBP, USD, EUR, JPY, KRW, CAD, AUD, CHF, SGD, SEK, NOK, DKK, PHP and THB. For other currencies, you can first convert them into USD in your own country and then convert USD into RMB after entering China. For more information, please visit the official website of Bank of China:

    3) Allergen memo and anti-allergy drugs

    Usually, allergy information is not marked on food packaging in China, so please be careful. It’s better for you to keep your allergy memo and prepare the relevant drugs.

    4) Common language - Chinese

    China uses Chinese (mandarin) as its common language, but it has a few local dialects in minority ethnic regions. To avoid communication difficulties, we recommend that you have the following contact information written in Chinese beforehand: your liaison person in China, school administrator, destination, etc.

    What can I do if I cannot arrive at school before registration deadline?

    If a student cannot arrive at the school before the registration deadline prescribed in the Admission Notice, he/she should contact the Admissions Office, College of International Education by phone (+86-532-86981298/3201) or by email ( in advance to consult the alternative time for registration.

    Tips for Entering China

    What should I do after I arrive in China?

    Normally, international students come to China by air. It is also possible that they come by rail, boat, bus and other means of transportation. The first task after his/her arrival is to pass China’s border control.

    1. China’s border control

    China’s border control is divided into a variety of channels, including Chinese citizen channel and foreign citizen channel. International students should enter through the latter. Before entering the country, you must fill out the Application Form for Entry of Foreigners and hand it to the inspector of Customs Office. Inspectors may ask you about your travel purpose, contact and address in China. Please prepare your responses in advance and bring relevant documents with you.

    After entering the country, you are forbidden to stay at the border control office. Baggage should be claimed as soon as possible. Please do cooperate in security check.

    2. How do you get to UPC?

    After entering China, you can take taxi, subway, bus and other means of transportation to UPC, and you may also need to take an inter-city train or a follow-up flight to Qingdao. Please visit our Travel Guide.

    Where can I stay after arriving at UPC?

    An international student usually stays in dormitory on campus, or rents an apartment outside school. New students may phone our Reception (+86-532-86981192) to check whether there are room available.

    Do I have to take a physical examination?

    According to the provisions of relevant laws and regulations of the Chinese government, international students entering China with X1 visa must take a health check. Alternatively, international students may choose to take physical examinations in their own country before coming to China, but they need to submit the original Physical Examination Record of Foreigners in Chinese or English at the time of student registration, and then go to the local Health Center of the Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau to have the aforesaid form reviewed. If the submitted document does not conform with the specifications or requirements or no medical examination has been conducted before entering China, they are required to re-take a health check at the Health Centre of the local Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau. Then the centre will issue the Certificate on Verification of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners, which is one of the preconditions for obtaining a residence permit in China. For physical examination, the following materials may be required:

  • passport

  • certificate of physical examination taken before entering China

  • 2-inch bareheaded ID photo, which may also be taken at the site of physical examination

  • admission notice (photocopy) or a certificate verifying admission issued by the school

    Under normal circumstances, the school will arrange medical check-ups for students. If you miss the checkup, you need to go to the Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau to complete this procedure. A holder of X1 visa must apply for a residence permit within 30 days upon the date of entry; therefore it is necessary to complete the medical examination as soon as possible after entry. International students with X2 visa do not need medical examination.

    Do I have to buy medical insurance?

    According to the relevant regulations of China, international students whose duration of studies in China exceeds six months should purchase medical insurance in China. The school will provide students with advice and services for medical insurance purchase. Insurance liability please refer to:, Claims guide Scheme please refer to:

    What is residence permit for foreigners? What should I pay attention to in this regard?

    Residence Permit for Foreigner in the People’s Republic of China is issued to foreigners residing in the People’s Republic of China for more than one year. International students with X1 visa must change it to residence permit within 30 days upon the date of entry. The permit shall be applied for to the Exit-Entry Administration of the Public Security Bureau of his/her place of residence. For details, please refer to Regulations of the People’s Republic of China on Administration of Entry and Exit of Foreigners and the relevant provisions promulgated by the local Exit-and-Entry Administration.

    You may need to pay attention to:

    When applying for residence permit, you need to submit Certificate on Verification of Physical Examination Record for Foreigners issued by the local inspection and quarantine department. Therefore, please complete the medical examination as soon as possible after entering the country and bring the necessary materials to the local Exit-Entry Administration Bureau.

    The police station needs to check your original passport when handling your application for residence permit. At the same time, some other procedures may also require your original passport, such as applying for bank cards and mobile phone/Internet access. Therefore, please make relevant arrangement in advance.